Eagles players individually decided on WH trip

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Eagles players and officials made individual decisions to not go to the White House for a scheduled celebration of their Super Bowl title, leaving two players actually planning to make the trip to Washington before the visit was canceled by President Donald Trump, according to players and a person familiar with the arrangements.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity Wednesday because of the sensitivity of the issues.

All-Pro center Jason Kelce said players filled out forms anonymously indicating whether they wanted to go to the White House, not make the trip or go to Washington and do something else.

The players did not urge a collective decision on what to do as a team, giving each player his own option of whether to take the trip.

Defensive end Chris Long, who skipped the trip last year with the New England Patriots and wasn't planning to go again, said he hopes athletes on championship teams in all sports won't have to make the decision in a couple years when Trump's term is up.
 

Print this article Back to Top