NewsCrime CheckerAnne Arundel Crime


GUILTY: Man pleads guilty in Glen Burnie cold case murder

Maryland Mysteries: Michael Temple, Jr.
Posted at 10:59 AM, Jul 01, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-01 18:16:28-04

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — A discarded coffee cup and cigarette butt provided the required genetic connection for police to solve a nearly decade-old cold case in Odenton.

Anne Arundel County State's Attorney Anne Colt Leitess announced Monday that the man accused of shooting and ultimately killing a man in February 2010 has pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree murder.

With the help of the DNA phenotyping service, Parabon Nanolabs, the state was able to successfully prosecute 33-year-old Fred Lee Frampton, Jr.

"Mr. Frampton will finally be held accountable for this violent home invasion that forever changed the life of Mr. Temple, his family and the surviving victims," Colt Leitess said.

On February 2, 2010, the Anne Arundel County Police Department responded to the 500 block of WIlliamsburg Lane in Odenton for a report a home invasion robbery and a shooting. Police discovered one victim, Michael Anthony Temple, Jr. suffering from a gunshot wound.

The wound ultimately left Temple bound to a wheelchair for years until he passed in June 2015 due to complications he suffered from the gunshot wounds.

RELATED: Virginia-based DNA tech company may help solve Anne Arundel cold case

Investigations revealed that at about 8:50 p.m., two men went into a home where they pistol-whipped one man, Donald Gagnon, knocking him to the floor. Fred Lee Frampton, Jr. pointed a gun at Gagnon while the other suspect, Jonathan Ludwig, duct taped the victim's hands behind his back, his ankles together, covered his mouth, and then stole his wallet.

The two then went into the basement where they found Temple, Margaret Ridgely, and Kelly Skarwecki.

Frampton ordered the three to the floor and demanded money, but Temple fought back. Ridgely fought with Ludwig and was struck on the left eyebrow. Temple fought with Frampton and ended up in the laundry room where one gunshot was heard followed by another.

Police recovered multiple shell casings, a four-inch blade, and a partial projectile from the scene. Frampton and Ludwig took between $2,100 and $2,500 from the home.

After learning the initial news, Temple's father, Michael Temple, Sr. is still reeling. He spoke with WMAR-2 News in November 2018 when it was announced that Frampton had been arrested and charged in his son's case.

"I'm at peace that they caught them. I think Michael had a great part of that -- as far as getting the DNA -- something to work with," he told WMAR-2 News Investigator Skyler Henry.

Detectives followed Frampton to a 7-Eleven on Route 3 in Crofton and watched him discard a coffee cup on the ground. Soon after, they saw him discard a cigarette in the parking lot near a Roy Rogers, and they tested them both at the county's forensic laboratory.

The same DNA that was found on the cup and cigarette were discovered on the blade of the knife discovered at the crime scene.

Frampton was arrested in November 2018. Police found a handgun tied to the crime scene inside the home. After being questioned by detectives, Frampton confessed to the murder and home invasion. Ludwig, the other suspect in the case, overdosed as police zeroed in on him being tied to the crime.

Frampton faces a life sentence. His sentencing date is set for September 19, 2019.