The official start of hurricane season is tomorrow, June 1st.
And we've already had one named storm, Subtropical Storm Ana.
This makes the seventh year in a row that the Atlantic hurricane season started before the official June 1 date.
- 2021: Subtropical Storm Ana (May 22)
- 2020: Tropical Storm Arthur (May 16), Tropical Storm Bertha (May 27)
- 2019: Subtropical Storm Andrea (May 20)
- 2018: Tropical Storm Alberto (May 28)
- 2017: Tropical Storm Arlene (April 19)
- 2016: Hurricane Alex (Jan. 12), Tropical Storm Bonnie (May 27)
- 2015: Tropical Storm Ana (May 8)
The National Hurricane Center has forecast this year to be slightly above average-- forecasting 16-20 named storms, six to 10 hurricanes and three to five major hurricanes.
Thankfully, the Atlantic Basin is quiet at the moment-- with no development expected within the next 48 hours.