HANOVER, Md — Maryland residents are spending a lot of time stuck in traffic. The state's roads carry the highest traffic volume in the nation and the commute lengths are the second longest in the U.S.
Governor Larry Hogan's TRIP report analyzes the most congested roads in the states and identifies transportation projects to improve them.
"Congestion is a problem, will be a problem and continue to be a problem if we don't act decisively with the Governor's traffic relief plan," said Pete Rahn, Secretary of Maryland Department of Transportation. "It is necessary we tackle this issue of congestion."
The congestion relief plan costs $17.8 billion. It includes widening 70 miles of interstates and expanding the express toll lanes on I-95 from MD 43 to MD 24. Improving the BaltimoreLink, Metro and MARC transit systems are also a part of the plan.
Here is the list of the most congested routes in Maryland if you're commuting on the highway in the morning:
1. I-495 Outer Loop - US 1 to US 29
2. I-695 Outer Loop - I-795 to Edmonson Ave.
3. I-695 Outer Loop - US 1 to MD 41
4. I-270 Local Southbound - Shady Grove Rd. to Montrose Rd.
5. I-95/I-495 Inner Loop - MD 5 to I-295
6. US 50 Westbound - MD 704 to MD 295
7. I-695 Inner Loop - MD 140 to I-83
8. I-270 Southbound - Montrose Rd. to I-270 Spur
9. MD 295 Southbound - MD 32 to MD 197
10. I-95 Southbound - MD 212 to I-495
Here is the list of the most congested routes in Maryland if you're commuting off the freeway in the morning:
1. US 29 Southbound - MD 650 to I-495
2. MD 212 Westbound - Beltsville Dr. to Riggs Rd.
3. MD 185 Southbound - Jones Bridge Rd. to Washington D.C. Line
4. MD 210 Northbound Swan Creek Rd.
5. MD 28 Westbound - MD 97 to E. Gude
6. MD 190 - MD 188 to MD 614
7. MD 3 Southbound - I-97 to Waugh Chapel Rd.
8. MD 410 Westbound - MD 650 to US 29
9. MD 97 Southbound - MD 193 to I-495
10. MD 650 Southbound - Venice Dr. to I-495
When it comes to afternoon drivers on the highway, here are the biggest trouble spots:
1. I-695 Inner Loop - MD 139 to MD 542
2. I-270 West Spur Southbound - I-270 Split to I-495
3. I-495 Inner Loop - Virginia State Line to I-270 West Spur
4. I-495 Outer Loop - MD 187 to Virginia State Line
5. I-495 Inner Loop - MD 355 to MD 97
6. I-495 Inner Loop - MD 650 to MD 201
7. I-270 Spur Northbound - I-495 to I-270
8. MD 100 Westbound - MD 713 to US 1
9. I-95/I-495 Inner Loop - MD 202 to MD 214
10. I-695 Outer Loop - US 1 to MD 170
Afternoon commuters see the biggest problems at these spots off the freeway:
1. MD 210 Southbound - Kerby Hill Rd./Livingston Rd. to Palmer Rd.
2. MD 650 Southbound - US 29 to Adelphi Rd.
3. MD 185 Northbound - MD 410 to I-495
4. MD 28 Eastbound - E. Gude Dr. to Bel Pre Rd.
5. MD 410 Eastbound - Adelphi Rd. to MD 295
6. MD 2 Northbound - US 50 to MD 648/Whites Rd.
7. MD 187 Northbound - MD 188 to I-495
8. MD 355 Northbound - Gude Dr. to Shady Grove Rd.
9. Md 3 Southbound - MD 175 to Waugh Chapel Rd.
10. MD 170 Southbound - MD 176 to MD 174