Saying goodbye to Harford Co. fallen heroes

Posted at 12:16 AM, Feb 17, 2016
and last updated 2019-02-07 16:33:11-05

The Harford County community said goodbye Wednesday to one of two sheriff's deputies killed last week in the line of duty. 

Senior Deputy Patrick Dailey, a 30-year veteran, and Senior Deputy Mark Logsdon, a 16-year veteran were killed after an encounter with an armed suspect at Panera Bread in Abingdon, Md. 

Deputy Dailey's funeral was held Wednesday morning, and law enforcement officers from across the state were there to pay their respects, turning the services into a sea of blue.  

Dailey was assigned to court services at the sheriff's office. He was a member of the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company and a former U.S. Marine. He is survived by his girlfriend, mother and two sons. 

Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler, who had known Dailey for about 30 years, saluted the flag-draped casket of Dailey before speaking.

“Law enforcement, as we know, is a unique endeavor,” Gahler said. “Some would say it’s a profession, while most would say it’s a calling.I think Pat would believe 100 percent it is a calling.” 

Harford County Executive Barry Glassman recalled how he spoke with Dailey just days before his death. Dailey thanked him for attending a banquet at the fire company.

“In now what seems like a blink of an eye, I am here to say thank you on behalf of of a grateful county,” Glassman said. “We will remember Pat’s service at the sight of every flashing light bar on a cruiser in Harford County, or the cry of a siren from an engine at Joppa-Magnolia.”

He also thanked the community for its support, saying, "the love you have shown this week is always, always victorious." 

Family members including Dailey's two sons, Tyler and Bryan, and nephew, Michael Kilduff Jr., gave moving tributes. 

RELATED: Sons of fallen deputy share stories

Kilduff spoke of an encounter with a homeless man outside a local Walgreens, where he was getting pictures developed for the funeral.

The man asked to see the photos, and when he pointed out his uncle, the man told him Dailey always went out of his way to check on him and help him. 

"This man, who I’ve never met before, hugged me and we stood outside of Walgreens hugging each other and crying," Kilduff said. "That story really touched me."