WINDSOR MILL, Md. — Baltimore County Fire officials are warning consumers of a potentially dangerous kerosene contamination.
Officials say that kerosene contaminated with gasoline was sold between January 23 and February 5 at the Shell station and Dash-In at 8200 Liberty Rd in Windsor Mill. If you were to use this mixture in a kerosene-fueled device, like a space heater, it can pose an imminent fire risk.
If you bought the kerosene from that specific gas station, stop using it immediately. Officials say that use of gasoline in a kerosene device is known to cause fires and other hazards.
The Dash-In says they were told by their parent company about the contamination on Wednesday. They then sent the following statement:
"We recently learned that the clear kerosene product purchased between Wednesday, January 23 and Tuesday, February 5 at the Dash-In location at 8200 Liberty Rd., Baltimore, MD may be contaminated. If you are one of the approximately 46 customers who purchased clear kerosene from the location between Wednesday, January 23 and Tuesday, February 5, do not use the kerosene product of any remaining stored kerosene product as it is a fire hazard. Please contact Dash In immediately at 240-316-4939 as we are standing by to assist with safe disposal of any unused clear kerosene product, and to offer refunds with proof of purchase."
The company is asking anyone who purchased the product to return it beginning Thursday at noon. Anyone with questions should call the Dash In at 240-316-4939.
You may have seen an alert about the kerosene contamination on your phone on Wednesday. There are several reasons why emergency alerts get sent; here is a list of notifications that may be sent out.