CATONSVILLE, Md. — Baltimore County firefighters went door to door in one Catonsville neighborhood for their "After the Fire Walk," something they do after every deadly or major fire in the county.
Sunday morning, 93-year-old Louise Hole died in a house fire on Keithmont Road.
RELATED: 93-year-old woman dies in Sunday morning house fire in Catonsville
"We just want to make sure the residents in the neighborhood are safe," said Lt. Travis Francis with the Baltimore County Fire Department. They talked with each homeowner about an evacuation plan and inspected their homes to make sure they were fire ready and had working smoke detectors.
Those who didn't got one for free. It's a ten year smoke detector with a carbon monoxide detector.
"I’m just very grateful they came by today. That was a big help to me. I feel better," said Jo Ann Tulock. Her smoke detector in the basement didn't have batteries in it, so firefighters replaced it.
Firefighters also advised people to close their bedrooms door before they go to sleep to increase their risk of survival during a fire, less smoke and heat.
"Research has shown sometimes the difference where the fire is at the home and a closed bedroom door can be up to a thousand degree difference," Lt. Francis said.
If you want your home inspected or need a new smoke detector, call your local fire department.