NewsCrime CheckerBaltimore City Crime


Woman's eye severely injured in "unprovoked" attack in Inner Harbor

Police lights
Posted at 12:11 PM, May 31, 2019
and last updated 2022-06-06 15:51:23-04

BALTIMORE — A woman was left bleeding and unconscious, and later was treated for a severely injured left eye at a local hospital following an unprompted attack May 24 in the Inner Harbor.

READ MORE: Six arrested after hundreds of juveniles gather at Inner Harbor Saturday night

The woman was attacked while walking with another person to a restaurant. The incident occurred a day prior to the Saturday night when hundreds of juveniles gathered in the Inner Harbor, with a small percentage causing chaos and crime.

READ MORE: Police, community react in aftermath of large juvenile gathering at Harbor

According to a Baltimore Police Department report of the incident, the woman was walking with another person in the 200 block of Light Street towards Sullivan’s Steak House, when a group of male suspects ran at them and began attacking them with closed fists at about 10:30 p.m. The attackers did not say anything prior to the assault.

READ MORE: 'Totally Unacceptable.' Baltimore Mayor Young reacts to group fighting near Inner Harbor

The victims said it was a group of male suspects between the ages of 15 to 20, all wearing hooded sweatshirts, according to the report. The victims did not see a weapon among the group.

One of the victims was able to fight off the attackers, sustaining minor injures including a small scrape on the right side of his face, and another on his right knee, for which he later refused treatment. After the suspects fled the area on foot, the victim noticed the woman he was with was laying on the ground bleeding and unconscious. She was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma, where she was treated for a cut to the right side of her face, swelling of her entire face, and a severely injured left eye.

READ MORE: City Police release video of Inner Harbor weekend incident that led to arrest of six juveniles

A valet driver for the steakhouse called police but said he did not witness the attack. Police did not find footage of the attack on CityWatch cameras, but the assault was captured by the CCTV system at the Hyatt Hotel.

According to the report, the video shows a group of seven male suspects attacking the two victims in an unprovoked assault. The video was too far away though to be able to provide distinguishing details to accurately identify the suspects. Police canvassed the area but also did not locate the suspects. Police planned on contacting additional area businesses to see if additional footage or witnesses of the attack can be found.