2018 marks the seventh year for the #GivingTuesday movement.
It was started in 2012 by a cultural center in New York called 92nd Street Y.
They describe this day, which falls after Cyber Monday, as a "global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration."
Here are how some local charities are encouraging you to give on #GivingTuesday.
- Baltimore Humane Society - They are hoping to raise $15,000 on #GivingTuesday and to encourage donations, they'll be locking their managers in cages until they hit their goal. You can donate here or text the word WAG to 50155.
- Maryland SPCA - They are having a contest where you can vote Team Dog, Team Cat or Team Both. No matter how you vote, all of the money raised will go to help the animals in the shelter's care. You can vote/donate here.
- BARCS - The shelter is dedicating its #GivingTuesday donations to its Love Lasts Forever program, which helps find senior pets a home. The Nancy Sheretz Family Foundation will match up to $10,000. Donate here.
- SafeMinds - The autism advocacy group is going through Facebook to collect donations and hopes to raise $10,000. It is also participating in the #Unselfie campaign, encouraging donors to share why they support SafeMinds. Donate here.
- Sharp Dressed Man - This organization outfits men getting back on their feet with suits and accessories to help them on job interviews. They'll be hosting a #GivingTuesday party at World of Beer in Owings Mills. Free beer to those who donate suits, dress shirts, ties, etc. Click here for details.
- House of Ruth - This group provides shelter and services to women and their children who are victims of intimate partner violence. They are collecting donations through Facebook and PayPal. Donate here.
- Maryland Food Bank - For the last week, they've been sharing stories of why people support the Maryland Food Bank on their Facebook page, from volunteers, donors and employees. You can click here to donate.
- The Maryland Book Bank - This group provides books, free of charge, to kids and teachers. You can make a donation here.
- Back On My Feet Baltimore - This non-profit is working to transform lives through running. Outdoor Voices will donate 15% of their online or in-store purchases on #GivingTuesday to BOMF.
- Casey Cares - This group provides fun activities and programs for families with critically ill children. Casey Cares’ Very Important Partners are matching gifts on #GivingTuesday. Click here to make a donation.
- Brigance Brigade Foundation - Former Ravens player OJ Brigance started this foundation after he was diagnosed with ALS. They help families cover costs associated with ALS. They are collecting donations through Facebook, the link is here.
- Zaching Against Cancer - Named after UMD freshman Zach Lederer, this group helps cancer patients and their families connect to various services and programs. You can make a $10 #GivingTuesday donation (or more!) by clicking here.