News

Actions

NHC Forecasts Near-normal Hurricane Season

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 1:50 PM, May 28, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-28 13:50:01-04

The Atlantic Hurricane Season officially arrives June 1st. However, things have already been pretty active this year. Right now, we are tracking Tropical Depression #2. If this storm continues to strengthen, it'll be named Bonnie. But what about the 'A' named storm? Remember Alex? That was the rare storm that formed in the far Eastern Atlantic back in January and gained category 1 hurricane status.

The National Hurricane Center (NHC) says the 2016 Atlantic Hurricane season will "most likely be near-normal, but forecast uncertainty in the climate signals that influence the formation of Atlantic storms make predicting this season particularly difficult."

NOAA predicts a 70 percent likelihood of 10 to 16 named storms, of which 4 to 8 could become hurricanes, including 1 to 4 major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher). While a near-normal season is most likely with a 45 percent chance, there is also a 30 percent chance of an above-normal season and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal season. NHC did take into account Alex when putting together this forecast.

NOAA will issue an updated outlook for the Atlantic hurricane season in early August, just prior to the peak of the season.

Follow me on Twitter!