ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Governor Larry Hogan on Friday announced a phased plan to once again allow visitors at Maryland assisted living facilities.
Universal screenings and face coverings will be required for all staff members and visitors.
Each facility has to meet these standards before allowing visitors inside.
- The facility must not be experiencing an ongoing outbreak of COVID-19 (One or more confirmed cases of COVID-19 in a resident or staff member)
- No COVID-19 cases in the facility within the last 14 days.
- Anyone entering the facility needs to wear a face covering at all times inside.
- Staff must have enough personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Residents should wear face coverings when someone is visiting them, they are around others and leave their room or the building.
- Visitors and residents maintain proper social distancing at all times.
- The state recommends no more than two visitors at a time per resident per visit.
- Facilities must screen everyone entering the facility for signs and symptoms of COVID-19, including temperature checks.
- Facilities must refuse entrance to anyone screening positive for symptoms of COVID-19.
- All assisted livings with less than 50 beds must report any new case of COVID-19 to their local health department and test all residents and staff weekly until there are no new infections for 14-days. Facilities with more than 50 beds must test all staff, volunteers, and vendors on a weekly basis.
- Facilities must screen all residents daily.
- Facilities need to have enough PPE available for everyone in the building in case of an outbreak.
- Facilities must provide updates to the state within 24 hours of a confirmed infection of COVID-19, and any new-onset respiratory symptoms within 72 hours.
Last week, Hogan authorized a similar plan for outdoor visitation, communal dining, and small group activities at nursing homes.
As of Friday, there are 6,674 active COVID-19 cases in 87 of the state’s 227 nursing homes. 1,880 staff and residents have died since the beginning of the outbreak.