NewsRegionHoward County

Actions

Eight people displaced, two lizards rescued from Howard County townhouse fires

One of two lizards rescued from Columbia house fire
Townhouse fire in 6100 block of Majors Lane
Townhouse Fire in 6100 block of Majors Lane, Columbia
Posted at 8:44 PM, Feb 25, 2019
and last updated 2019-02-25 22:30:51-05

COLUMBIA, Md. (WMAR) — Eight people are without a home following a fire that spread through two townhouses in Howard County.

It happened on Monday, just before 5 p.m. in the 6100 block of Majors Lane in Columbia.

Howard County Fire and Rescue crews found flames coming from the second floor of a home and extending to another house next door. All four occupants had already evacuated the first home by the time firefighters arrived.

After about fifteen minutes, the blaze was placed under control. Crews reportedly rescued two pet lizards from the first home that caught fire.

Officials say families in both homes have been displaced as result of the fire.

The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced families.