A controlled breach of the Cascade Lake Dam is expected to happen on Monday morning.
The lake is in Carroll County near Hampstead and officials lowered water levels over the weekend to prepare for the breach.
Officials do warn there is still a hazard of a dam failure so residents should remain vigilant and aware.
People who live near the lake and the tributary of the Patapsco River's east branch should be prepared for large amounts of water flowing downstream if the dam fails and an uncontrolled breach occurs.
There's also the possibility of some flooding. Affected areas include locations south of Cascade Lake including Snydersburg Road, Hampstead Mexico Road and Brodbeck Road.
Current closed roads:
- Snydersburg Road between Cape Horn Road and Hampstead Mexico Road (Maryland Route 482)
The following additional roads may be closed if necessary:
- Snydersburg Road & Cape Horn Road
- Brodbeck Road by Walmart
- Brodbeck Road – Walmart side at # 1517
- Brillhart Road & MD 482
- Brodbeck Road & Schaeffer Drive
- MD 482 & North Brook Road
- Shiloh Road & Brodbeck Road
- Cape Horn Road & Brillhart Road
- Harvey Gummel Road & N. Cape Horn Road
- MD 30 - Bypass & MD 482
The Carroll County Sheriff's Office said they appreciate the public's patience and cooperation pending any travel delays of difficulties the road closures may cause.