ARBUTUS, Md. - Baltimore County Fire Department is investigating a fire that left a man dead on Sunday evening.
According to officials, crews were dispatched to the scene of a dwelling fire on the 5500 block of Ashbourne Rd in Arbutus. Responders from the Arbutus Volunteer Fire Department observed heavy smoke and fire conditions coming from the back of the single-family home when they arrived.
As firefighters entered the home, they found a man near the room where it looked like the blaze originated. Crews were able to knock the fire out, but unfortunately, the blaze took the life of the man, who was aided by EMS crews but pronounced dead at the scene. No one else was home during the fire.
A preliminary investigation reveals the fire was sparked by a computer in the rear of the house, and that the home had no working smoke alarms inside.
Officials said 20 fire department units and about 50 firefighters responded to the blaze.