NewsRegionBaltimore County


Evidence shows officer injured in Parkville shooting was by friendly fire

Posted at 3:01 PM, May 03, 2019
and last updated 2019-05-03 17:33:37-04

PARKVILLE, Md. — Baltimore County Police have released more details on the officer involved Parkville shooting where one man was killed and one officer was shot by friendly fire.

The injured officer has been identified as Police Officer First Class T. Hays. Hays, who is a 13.5 year veteran of the force who had one prior police-involved shooting in 2008, is assigned to Parkville Precinct patrol. At the moment, Hays remains in stable condition at R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma after suffering a gunshot wound to the upper body.

The deceased suspect has been identified as 76-year-old Robert Uhl Johnson, of the 3000 block of Linwood Avenue, which is where officers were dispatched to for a call of a suspect with a gun at a little after 1:30 p.m. Thursday.

RELATED: Officer-involved shooting in Parkville

The Department provided misinformation shortly after the incident occurred, stating that the suspect fired a weapon at officers upon entering the home. However, after further review of the body-worn camera footage and additional evidence, it shows that the suspect picked up a firearm, did not follow officers' commands to put down the weapon and pointed the gun at the officers, which caused the officers to fire at the suspect.

Afterwards, officers were called to the suspect's home when he called 911. He methodically provided his personal information to the call-taker before stating that there was an unknown subject waiving a gun at him inside his home. Then the suspect hung up on the call-taker when she tried to gather additional information. Following the hang up, multiple attempts were made to contact the caller, but he failed to answer the phone.

Officers from the Parkville Precinct approached the home and observed the suspect inside sitting in a chair facing the front door. One officer started a conversation with the suspect, who refused to get up from the chair or exit the home. The suspect told the officer that he called 911 and that there was no one inside the home. Officers further investigated by entering the house and directing Johnson to keep his hands in the air. However, as the officers entered the home, Johnson lowered his right hand down to his thigh and picked up a handgun. He pointed it at the officers and said, "I'm sorry I have to do this." Four officers fired their service weapons in response.

During the investigation, the Homicide Unit detectives found out that Johnson's gun was not loaded and that he had left his will and last requests for burial out for officers to find.

Officer Hays and three other responding officers fired their service weapons at the suspect. Those officers are currently on administrative leave and have been identified as:

  • Police Officer First Class J. Hummel, an 18 year veteran with no prior police-involved shootings
  • Police Officer First Class A. Burns, a 17.5 year veteran with no prior police-involved shootings
  • Police Officer First Class J. Deford, a 10.5 year veteran with no prior police-involved shootings

The Baltimore County Police Homicide Unit is still investigating this case.