BALTIMORE — Baltimore Gas and Electric Company announced the winner of its annual Wires Down Video Challenge Wednesday.
Northwood Elementary School in Northeast Baltimore won the $10,000 grand prize.
The annual contest encourages elementary schools to create their own version of BGE's popular "Wires Down" electric safety commercial for the chance to win between $1,000 and $10,000 to fund a school enrichment project.
Ms. Jackson's fifth grade class created the video. It took them six takes before they got it right.
"I was so happy. I thought we would win, but I wasn't sure because every time I asked people to vote I didn't think we had enough votes and someone else won,” said fifth grader Ka’miyah Teagle. “I knew in the back of my mind. I still had a feeling that we might win."
The school plans to use the prize money to purchase mobile computer carts with new portable computers and update their existing computer labs with new technology including smart boards, a laser printer, and headsets.
“The kids at Northwood Elementary did a tremendous job this year with their award-winning video,” said Rob Biagiotti, vice president of electric distribution for BGE. “We appreciate their enthusiasm and creativity and encourage all schools to take part in the future. Safety is BGE's top priority, and this video shows that the students, teachers and administrators here are clearly committed to learning and teaching others about electrical safety.”
More than 100,000 votes were cast during the online voting phase of the video contest. To date, BGE has awarded nearly $205,000 to 51 elementary schools with the Wires Down Video Challenge.
The kids’ video will be played on all four Baltimore-area television stations.
BGE will also award a total of $31,000 to these winning schools:
- BGE Star Power ($10,000): Northwood Elementary School (Baltimore City)
- BGE Spotlight Award ($5,000): Fountain Green Elementary School (Bel Air)
- Cast 'n Crew Award ($3,000): Red Pump Elementary School (Bel Air)
- Director's Cut ($3,000): Our Lady of Hope St. Luke (Dundalk)
- Music Maestro ($3,000): Spring Garden Elementary School (Hampstead)
- Screen Gem ($1,000):
- Anne Arundel County: Monarch Global Academy (Laurel)
- Baltimore City: The School of the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen (Baltimore City)
- Baltimore County: St. Joseph School Fullerton (Baltimore)
- Carroll County: Elmer A. Wolfe Elementary School (Union Bridge)
- Harford County: Riverside Elementary School (Joppa)
- Howard County: St. Louis School (Clarksville)
- Special Judge's Panel Award ($1,000): Summit Park School (Baltimore)
- Rock the Vote Award (Backpacks with school supplies): St. Louis School(Clarksville)