NewsRegionBaltimore City

Actions

Crews revive dog with pet oxygen mask following house fire

Man and dog in critical condition after fire
CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 9:28 PM, Mar 05, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-06 07:49:28-05

BALTIMORE (WMAR) — A man and a dog are in critical condition following a Monday night house fire in Baltimore.

According to Baltimore Fire Union, the incident happened around 9 p.m. in the 2200 block of Sidney Avenue.

While Baltimore City Fire crews were battling the blaze, they found an unconscious dog inside the home. Firefighters were able to rescue the dog from the home and revive it by applying a pet oxygen mask.

SEE ALSO: Dog oxygen mask helps to save Howard County pup

A male occupant was able to escape the home, but suffered serious smoke inhalation. He was transported to an area hospital, where he remains in critical condition.

The dog was taken by Animal Control to an animal emergency room, where workers with the Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter took over his care.

BARCS officials say upon arriving at the hospital, the dog was coughing up black soot and had a wound on his back which doctors weren't sure was from the fire or not.

The dog's medical care is being provided by BARCS' Franky Fund, a program for animals with critical and emergency medical needs.

BARCS says they're very hopeful that the dog will pull through. It's unclear what started the fire and how much damage it caused.