Anne Arundel Medical Center says it will limit visitors in an effort to stop the spread of flu. For now, people experiencing cold or flu-like symptoms should not visit the hospital.
The center is also restricting children under the age of 12 from visiting.
Most people with the flu don't need medical care or antiviral drugs. Instead, they should stay home and avoid contact with other people. However, if you're experiencing one of the below warning signs, AAMC suggests you do come to the emergency room.
Emergency warning signs in children include:
- Fast breathing or trouble breathing
- Bluish skin color
- Not drinking enough fluids
- Not waking up or not interacting
- Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
- Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
- Fever with a rash
Emergency warning signs in adults include:
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
- Sudden dizziness
- Severe or persistent vomiting
If you haven't gotten a flu shot, you still can. Vaccine clinics are still open in Anne Arundel County.