An 11-year-old girl in Glen Burnie was taken to the hospital early Thursday morning after suffering second degree burns caused by a sparkler.
Members of the Anne Arundel County Fire Department's Fire and Explosives Investigation Unit responded to the Baltimore Washington Medical Center at about 1:51 a.m. to check on a patient being treated in the emergency department for burns.
There they found the girl who had second-degree burns on her right wrist and abdomen, covering approximately 2% of her body.
Investigators believe the girl's parents purchased the "legal sparklers" from a Glen Burnie fireworks stand. The girl was standing close to the sparkler when another child lit it around 11 p.m., causing the burns, the department said.