NewsRegionAnne Arundel County

Actions

11-year-old girl burned by sparklers in Glen Burnie

11-year-old girl burned by sparklers in Glen Burnie
Posted at 10:48 AM, Jul 05, 2018
and last updated 2018-07-05 10:48:56-04

An 11-year-old girl in Glen Burnie was taken to the hospital early Thursday morning after suffering second degree burns caused by a sparkler.

Members of the Anne Arundel County Fire Department's Fire and Explosives Investigation Unit responded to the Baltimore Washington Medical Center at about 1:51 a.m. to check on a patient being treated in the emergency department for burns.

There they found the girl who had second-degree burns on her right wrist and abdomen, covering approximately 2% of her body.

Investigators believe the girl's parents purchased the "legal sparklers" from a Glen Burnie fireworks stand. The girl was standing close to the sparkler when another child lit it around 11 p.m., causing the burns, the department said.