BALTIMORE — Two associates have tested positive for COVID-19 at the Giant Food location on 6340-50 York Rd. in Baltimore.
A Giant spokesperson said that neither associate has worked since April 28 and they immediately took the precaution of requiring these associates, as well as additional associates that were working with the affected individuals, to quarantine themselves. They will all receive sick pay during their period of recovery and quarantine.
The spokesperson said as Giant Food continues to provide a critical service to the community, safety is highest priority.
Since the onset, they said they have continually adopted store procedures to reflect the most up-to-date measures recommended by the CDC and other best practices to ensure the safety of our associates and customers.
They are also listening to and reviewing daily feedback from associates, customers, as well as Union partners to continue to enhance procedures for everyone working and shopping in their stores. Below are some of the specific steps Giant Food has taken to protect our associates and customers in stores:
- Set up procedures in our stores to encourage social distancing (staying at least six feet apart from other people) as well as one-way aisle traffic with floor markers.
- Installed temporary plexiglass shields for higher-traffic areas, such as our pharmacies, cash registers, and customer service desks.
- Implemented designated shopping times for seniors and those with compromised immune systems from 6 a.m. -7 a.m. daily so they may shop when the store is most sanitized and least crowded.
- Limited the number of customers that can enter a store at any time at all our stores.
- Following CDC’s latest recommendation, we have given PPE to all associates (masks, face shields, and gloves) and it is mandatory for all Giant associates to wear masks while working in the stores.
- Per local guidelines, we are now asking our customers to wear face masks while shopping at our stores.