TOWSON, Md. — Towson University, in conjunction with the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) and its members, will be canceling all remaining winter and spring varsity athletic activities for the 2019-20 academic year.
TU Athletics is following suit with several conferences and schools across the country on the recommendations of health officials and medical professionals to reduce the risk from the COVID-19 outbreak.
The CAA announced the cancellation of all remaining 2020 winter and spring competitions on Friday, plus has suspended all recruiting, in-person and on-and-off campus.
The following measures have been taken:
- All 19 sports’ contests and practices for the remainder of the 2019-20 athletic season have been canceled.
- Teams ending competition in 2020: men’s/women’s lacrosse, baseball, softball, men’s/women’s golf, outdoor track & field, tennis.
- All international travel for work purposes is prohibited for Towson staff/coaches per university mandate.
Those looking for refunds for Towson ticketed home events, including Sunday’s gymnastics meet and future men’s/women’s lacrosse home games, may contact the Towson Athletics ticket office by visiting www.towsontigers.com [towsontigers.com], calling 1-855-TU-TIGER or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Towson University is actively monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak and will provide updates when necessary. There are currently no known confirmed cases of COVID-19 at Towson University and the campus remains open for normal operations for faculty and staff.
The university has taken the following measures:
- Prohibiting university-sponsored international travel and non-essential domestic travel.
- All university-sponsored events and gatherings hosted on campus through April 4 are suspended.
- Canceling classes March 11-13 in advance of next week’s spring break.
- Transitioning students and faculty to distance-learning from March 23-April 3.
For more information on Towson University's response to COVID-19, visit www.towson.edu/coronavirus [towson.edu].