NewsLocal News


Family describes daughter's recovery as a miracle

kinsley 13.jpeg
kinsley 7.jpeg
Posted at 7:48 AM, Feb 26, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-26 07:58:32-05

BALTIMORE, md. — People from all over come to Johns Hopkins Children's Center to get their child the best care possible. The Wolsin Family was lucky to have this facility in their backyard for their daughter, Kinsley.

Kinsley spent six hectic months in the NICU before she was discharged. It all started the day she was born. At first, Kinsley had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck. Doctors and nurses were able to stabilize her and her parents thought she was in the clear, but Kinsley wouldn't stop bleeding.
"I walked in there and one of them pulled me aside and said we're doing all we can for Kinsley but it's not looking very good. He said, I want you to know she's dying," said Rob Wolsin, Kinsley's dad.

"They didn't know what was wrong. She was just bleeding from everywhere. Every prick they did, she wouldn't clot. She needed several blood transfusions. She had 78 in the first two weeks," said Jenn Wolsin, Kinsley's mom.
Eventually, doctors found out her stomach ruptured. She lost 90 percent of her stomach and the ten percent that was left was connected to her small intestine, not her esophagus. The next several weeks were filled with surgeries and then her surgeon, Dr. Daniel Rhee, came up with a plan to reconnect her digestive tract.

Rob said, "the month leading up to the final surgery was the hardest."
The procedure wasn't common for a child. Dr. Rhee explained they used her small intestine to create a small reservoir so she could store food, then they connected it to her esophagus.

"We talked about different options, different ways to restore her. This seemed like the best way but we didn’t know how well it was going to work in the long term of her being able to eat a normal meal," said Dr. Rhee.

The surgery was a success! She has a pretty big appetite, eating a lot of different solid foods. Two months after the surgery, she was discharged from the NICU.

"I just wanted her to be able to live and enjoy life," said Jenn. Rob added, "I think all we went through and seeing who she is today and what she is now, it’s really a miracle we’re actually in a place where we can see her thriving hitting her milestones."

The Wolsin family is grateful for the John's Hopkins Children's Center and their entire team.

"We're so lucky to be where we were at the time. We're so thankful to have the right doctors, right nurses, from therapists to surgeons. We’re so thankful. We're so lucky," said Rob.

Not just for saving Kinsley's life but making them feel comfortable the whole six months they were there.

"It helps give the families the comfort they need to also go through an experience that’s trying on its own. You’re fighting for a child’s life. Having even just a blanket, supplying with a couple blankets so you could sit and be comfortable with her," said Jenn.

She explained how Kinsley's development was just as important as her health and because of the supplies the hospital had she was able to work on those developmental skills.

"They'd give us sudoku puzzles to do while Kinsley was in surgery. Just things to get our minds off thinking so much about Kinsley and if she’s going to be okay, trying to make it as normal as possible," said Rob.

Every time they go back, they feel that same comfort. Jenn said, "till to this day it feels like home when I walk in, which you would never think. Before that I was not a fan of hospitals and now, I’ll walk in there and I’m like it feels so peaceful to be here because I know I’m safe and I know my kids are safe while they’re there."

They go back regularly for check-ups with Dr. Rhee and because of all the life saving measures right after birth, Kinsley has kidney damage and will eventually need a transplant. But because of everything she's been through, the Wolsin's say they're ready for whatever is next.

If you'd like to donate to the Johns Hopkins Children's Center, go to The 32 Annual Mix 106.5 Radiothon is happening until 7 p.m. Friday, February 26 so you can text "MIX" 51555 or call 410-823-1065 to make a donation.