NewsYour Health Matters

Actions

Local Veterinarian says 'bones' aren't the only bad treat for your dog

Posted at 11:15 PM, Nov 28, 2017

With every crunch of the bone, it's good to the last chew, but some doggie treats can be treacherous.

"One of the prime examples is the knotted rawhide toys and my wife buys them by the bag full."

Towson Vet Dr. John Fioramonti wasn't surprised by the FDA's new warning about bone treats and the dangers they pose.

RELATED: FDA warns about dog 'bone treats' after reports of pets getting sick

"The ones that don't dissolve if your pet chews off too big of a chunk it can get caught, cause an obstruction or blockage."

There have been nearly 70 reports of pet illnesses related to bone treats.  At least 15 dogs have died.

While the FDA didn't mention specific brands Dr. Fioramonti says treats that aren't digestible can lead to serious problems.

"It could be anything and it doesn't have to be something from China.  A lot of these products are made in the U.S. and the key is, is it digestible.  Is it safe for your pet if they take small amounts."

The news is no surprise to some pet owners.

"All I give my dog is her dog food because I've had so many problems over the years giving them different things and they get sick."

"If you can choke on the bone, your dog can choke on the bone too."

And Dr. Fioramonti says it's not just bones, you have to be careful with other chew toys this Christmas too.

"Our pet owners will buy toys these knotted ends to the toys sometimes you'll take a dog that will chew this cord in half and then swallow the knot and then two weeks later I have to go in and surgically remove the knot from their stomach."

You can ask your vet about other options, but be prepared to pay.

"It's a safe treat, it's not a cheap treat.  It's an expensive one but if they break off too big of a piece it will dissolve in their stomach."