Deputy U.S. Marshal on life support, fugitive dead following Thursday morning shootout in W. Baltimore

shootout leaves United States Marshal wounded and a wanted suspect dead
Posted at 7:51 AM, Feb 04, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-05 07:27:14-05

BALTIMORE — An early Thursday morning shootout has left a deputy United States Marshal fighting for his life and a fugitive dead.

Gunshots rang out around 6:15 am in the 1400 block of N. Mount Street in West Baltimore.

A Fugitive Task Force team was trying to serve a warrant on Dontae Green at the location.

Commander Don Snyder of the U.S. Marshals said Green hid in a closet and opened fire, striking one of their team members in the torso.

Deputies shot back, killing him. Several weapons were recovered from the scene, Snyder said.

The unnamed marshal underwent surgery at Shock Trauma and is now on life support in the intensive care unit, according to Chief Physician, Thomas M. Scalea.

"He was quite sick when he got here. We got him rapidly evaluated and into the operating room," said Dr. Scalea. "We are done with his surgery he's up in the ICU but still on life support. We're very hopeful but you just never know it's just too early."

Green was wanted on 19 charges in connection to a January 30 incident at a grocery store in the 5600 block of The Alameda.

RELATED: Police, suspect exchange gunfire during Saturday confrontation on the Alameda

At the time, Baltimore Police were called for a man armed inside the store.

Arriving officers encountered Green who began shooting at them, which led to an exchange of gunfire.

No officers were struck that day, but Green got away.

Later Baltimore detectives got an arrest warrant, which led to Thursday's tragic events.

Police previously said a pay dispute may have sparked the initial incident at the store.

Over the years, Scalea has seen his share of law enforcement officers being rushed to Shock Trauma after being wounded in the line of duty.

This latest one seemed to strike a rare emotional chord from the renowned physician.

"I'd really like this to be the last time I have to walk up here and do this, but that's not likely to happen, it's really it's a little bit too much," Scalea said to a group of reporters.