NewsCrime CheckerEastern Shore Crime


Man dies in police custody after reportedly attempting to abduct child

Posted at 8:58 PM, Sep 16, 2018

A man has died after being taken into custody for reportedly attempting to abduct a 12-year-old child.

The incident happened on Saturday around 7 p.m. 

An officer with the Greensboro Police Department was dispatched to Sunset Avenue in the area of the Choptank River Bridge for a report of a man dragging a child down the street.

Upon his arrival the officer observed a man later identified as 19-year-old Antone Black forcibly restraining a young boy. The officer ordered Black to release the child for which Black complied. Black was then asked by the officer if he and the boy were related, at which time the boy yelled that they weren't, while Black reportedly told police the two were brothers.

The officer then instructed Black to place his hands behind his back. Black then told the police he loved them and fled the scene. A foot chase ensued leading officers to Black's home in a trailer park located in the 13000 block of Greensboro Road. There, Black jumped into the drivers side of his vehicle and then attempted to exit the passenger side at which time an officer deployed his taser. 

Black continued his attempt to flee by continuing to resist arrest, at one point even biting two officers and a civilian who was assisting, as well as striking another officer in the face. 

During the struggle, Black's parents appeared from the doorway of their trailer to convince him to comply. After several more minutes and no further force, police were able to restrain Black in handcuffs and ankle restraints. 

Moments later, as they were monitoring his breathing, police noticed Black showing signs of medical distress. An ambulance was called, while in the meantime officers administered first aid including Narcan and CPR. EMS eventually arrived and transported Black to Easton Memorial Hospital, where he later died.

The cause of death is pending toxicology results and an autopsy performed by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore.

Maryland State Police have taken over the investigation and are expected to forward all results to the Caroline County State's Attorney's Office for review.