Anyone who’s been on the fence about trying an Amazon Prime membership might want take the leap this Friday.
Starting at 12:01 a.m. EDT on September 25, Amazon drops the price of its membership program to $67. The deal is on a 24-hour, limited-time-only basis and ends at 11:59 PDT. The retail price for the annual membership is typically $99.
No additional equipment, beyond a computer, is required to use the Amazon Prime membership services and only new subscribers can take advantage of the discount.
Amazon Prime offers a variety of “perks” to its members including:
- Free two-day shipping on nearly 20 million retail items
- Prime Instant Video service: streaming originally video programming including movies, tv series, documentaries and more. Prime Instant Video also has agreements with HBO, Nickelodeon and a variety of TV networks and movie studios to feature their content as well.
- Amazon Prime Music: free live streaming of music from across decades and genres.
- Free access to the Kindle Lending Library. Choose from thousands of ebooks to download and read at no cost.
- Unlimited photo storage
Amazon decided to make the special offer as a celebration of its success at the 67th Annual Emmy Awards. The streaming service won a total of 5 Emmys, including three for the original series “Transparent”:
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series Jeffrey Tambor
- Outstanding Director Jill Soloway
- Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series Bradley Whitford.
According to TechCrunch, Amazon wants to grab the opportunity to bring in new customers, who may have heard about their streaming services for the first time during the annual Emmys’ broadcast.
In addition to recognizing its original programming success, Amazon hopes to continue to build its sales by slashing its Prime membership price. According to a study published earlier this year by The Consumerist, Amazon Prime members spend about $875 more annually than non-members on merchandise. By bringing in more Prime members, Amazon hopes to see an increase in revenue with new buyers.