NewsLocal News


Charging Docs: Randallstown man claims God told him to murder grandfather, great grandmother

Crime Scene
Posted at 12:41 PM, Jun 06, 2023
and last updated 2023-06-06 17:38:30-04

RANDALLSTOWN, Md. — One daughter's fear over her father's safety ends in tragedy.

On Sunday night Tonya Hyman-Goins called Baltimore County Police worried because she couldn't get in touch with her dad.

Alex Hyman, 73, was not answering his phone and neither was Tonya's son, Kennard, who lived with him.

According to charging documents Tonya told officers Kennard suffered from "mental issues."

When police went to check on Alex at his Randallstown home on Cabot Road, Kennard answered the door.

He told officers Alex went for a walk. Kennard, 24, agreed to let police search the house to make sure.

When they did a strong odor of bleach was detected. Blood droplets were found spattered throughout the home leading to the driveway.

Outside was Alex's pickup truck with blood smeared along the back bumper, tailgate and fenders.

Inside the bed of the truck police discovered the bodies of Alex and his 86-year-old mother, Sarah Mills, who is also Kennard's great grandmother.

RELATED: Man charged with murder of great-grandmother and grandfather

Each were covered in blankets and trash bags.

During an interview with detectives Kennard confessed to both killings, reportedly saying god told him to do it.

Kennard told investigators he beat and stabbed Alex on June 3, and strangled Sarah to death the next day when she came to check on her son.

He claims to have loaded their bodies in the truck just before police arrived.

Officers said Kennard expressed no remorse for his crimes.

Kennard Goins
Kennard Goins

Court records show he's still on probation from a case last June in which he threatened to stab his brother, and then led police on a chase striking multiple squad cars in the process.

Friends remember Kennard as a standout student/athlete at Milford Mill Academy, who held a good job before his father died of cancer.

They say he later turned to psychedelic drugs and became a different person.

Kennard is currently in custody without bail. He told a judge Tuesday that he doesn't need a lawyer, leaving his defense up to god.