May is ALS Awareness month, and to bring attention to the cause, several restaurants around the state are dedicating a special drink or menu item to help raise money for the Brigance Brigade Foundation.
The Brigance Brigade is a charity founded by former Ravens linebacker O.J. Brigance. He's been living with ALS for many years and has become a local champion of the cause. You may have heard of his annual 5.7k race, which raises money to help people living with ALS, along with providing support to their families. Check out the story I did a few weeks ago about one of their board members who runs, bikes and swims insane amounts of distances for the cause.
You don't have to compete in Ironman competitions or run marathons to help ALS patients. You can drink! Or eat! Or both!
Here's the list of restaurants participating in the ALS Bites campaign and the drinks and/or menu items they are serving. Each restaurant will either be donating a portion or all of the proceeds from the sale of those items to the Brigance Brigade. Five of the restaurants are in Federal Hill (the ones in bold), so get your friends together and do a bar crawl for ALS.
• Banditos Bar & Kitchen: The Sweet Lou Cocktail
• Mad River Bar & Grille: The O.J. Sliders
• MaGerk’s Pub: Black-Eyed Susan
• Mother’s Federal Hill Grille: The O.J. Crush
• Wayward Bar & Kitchen: The Iron Horse Cocktail
• The BoatHouse Canton, Waterfront Grille (Baltimore): The O.J. Crush
• Vida Taco Bar (Annapolis): ALS Life Margarita
• Vagabond Sandwich Co. (Bel Air): Brigance Brigade BBQ Burger
• Ristorante Firenze (Reisterstown): O.J. Cello Martini
• Newk’s Eatery (Gambrills): Newk’s Q Sandwich
We love hearing when charities and food come together to support a great cause! If you know of a campaign like this, please tell us so we can share with the world! Email me at email@example.com or Siobhan at firstname.lastname@example.org.