A mother in the San Luis Valley was greeted with an oversized surprise this week when she went into labor early and gave birth to a baby girl weighing 13 pounds and 13 ounces.
Mia Yasmin Garcia was born on Monday to Alisha Hernandez and Francisco Garcia, of Monte Vista, who said they were expecting a 7-pound baby, who was not due until Wednesday.
Her mother had to undergo a C-section at San Luis Valley Health to deliver Mia, who was 22 inches long.
Mia was immediately flown to Children's Hospital Colorado in Aurora because she was suffering from respiratory difficulty and low glucose levels after her birth. However, family members said she was stabilized by Tuesday afternoon.
Hospital officials said she is the biggest newborn baby they have treated.
Mia is a new little sister to four other young girls.
More Local News:
- Parker man raises nearly $90,000 for veterans
- Theater shooting judge won't bar death penalty
- Students from 4 Denver schools march in protest
- SURPRISE! Guess what was inside the DIA clouds?
- 'Pink Thong Bandit' sought by Denver Police
- CSU promises to find an 'outstanding' new coach
- Tip leads to stolen Christmas tree, 2 ticketed
- Bike officer hit by car facing more surgery