Carroll Community College and McDaniel College are teaming up to prepare tax returns for low-income residents for the first time ever.
Through the IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, returns are prepared for free by trained students from Feb. 1 through April 15 at Carroll Community College, 1601 Washington Road in Westminster.
VITA offers free assistance to those with low-to-moderate incomes, including people with disabilities and the elderly. Taxpayers who qualify and who file Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A or basic Form 1040 federal tax returns may be eligible.
Looking for local deals? Click through our ShopSmart circulars .
Both colleges have offered the service before, but never together. Fourteen students from Carroll and 10 from McDaniel. Out-of-state, prior-year returns and amended returns are also prepared.
To schedule an appointment, contact Linda Brandt at 410-386-8242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Items to bring include:
- Photo ID
- Social Security or ITIN card
- Wage and earning statements (W-2) from all employers
- Interest statements from banks (Form 1099)
- 1095A, 1095C, or other information about health insurance coverage during the year
- Social Security statement, if you are collecting Social Security
- Other relevant information about income and expenses
- A copy of last year's tax return, if available