As we bring in the new year Thursday night, many partygoers will call an Uber driver for a ride home. The company says New Year's Eve is their busiest night of the year, as millions around the world are expected to use the cab service.
To prepare for the celebrations, Uber shared a few tips on how to properly, and safely, use their service:
- Check the price: Surge pricing shouldn't be a surprise. When surge pricing is in effect, it is made very clear in the app: riders are notified and asked to confirm and accept increased fares - or they can opt to get a notification when prices drop. To avoid the highest fares, head to the festivities early or catch a ride right after midnight. Watch a video explanation of surge pricing HERE.
- Split your fare: Use fare split if you're rolling with the whole party.
- Confirm your driver: Make sure you don't get into the wrong car. Confirm your driver's car model and license plate in the app before you hop in your ride.
- Keep your number masked: If you can't find your driver or want to share more pick up information, call or text through the app. Your number will always stay anonymous.
- Send your status: Let your friends and family know when you arrive at the party, or get back home. Send trip details, which includes your estimated time of arrival as well as your driver's first name and vehicle information, to friends or family directly through the app.
- Contact Uber Support: If you leave one of your items in your ride, get in contact with your driver by pulling up your trip history in the app.