COLLEGE PARK, Md. (WMAR) — University of Maryland Athletics on Friday announced that they would begin a phased return to campus for student-athletes and staff.
The activities will still be restricted to outdoor individual voluntary workouts for football players only beginning June 15. Workouts will be supervised by sports medicine staff.
Medical evaluations will be given on June 8, prior to the beginning of workouts. They will include diagnostic COVID-19 and antibody screenings, with daily symptom checks.
Below is a list of new Phase One measures put in place to maintain the physical and mental health, safety and well-being of student-athletes and staff:
- Prior to the return of student-athletes and staff, all facilities will be prepared with deep cleaning, disinfection, and engineered physical distancing.
- Prior to returning to campus, student-athletes must self-report to be symptom-free for at least 14 days prior to return and have had no known contacts with any positive COVID-19 case.
- Prior to the resumption of any athletic activities, student-athletes will be subject to a COVID-19 diagnostic test, a complete physical examination and mental health screening.
- Each student-athlete will undergo a complete daily COVID-19 wellness check prior to entering athletic facilities at a designated checkpoint. This screening will include, but not be limited to completion of a symptom questionnaire and a temperature check.
- Before beginning voluntary workouts, each student-athlete will participate in educational activities to review the recommended COVID-19 prevention best practices and give them an opportunity to ask questions regarding the current situation and hear others’ questions.
- All voluntary individual workouts will be held outside under supervision. The usage of indoor facilities, including weight rooms, locker rooms, lounges, meeting rooms, and dining halls will be restricted during Phase 1.
- Each student-athlete and staff member will be provided two face-coverings, but may also bring their own personal face-coverings. Everyone will be required to wear a face-covering as directed. Physical distancing will be enforced and proper hygiene, including frequent hand washing and the use of hand sanitizers, will be strongly encouraged.
- Strict staff-to-student-athlete ratios will be enforced for all activities.
- Only a select number of staff may return to campus during Phase 1, limited to sports medicine, strength, and facilities personnel needed to facilitate the individual, voluntary workouts.
- All participation in the individual training permitted during Phase 1 is voluntary. No student-athlete will be required to be on-campus for these voluntary workouts.
- Any student-athlete concerned about their health may opt-out of any training, practice, and competition and this will not affect his or her scholarship status.
Later phases that would include indoor training, larger groups, and other teams are being developed. There is no timetable for when the next phase will begin.