BALTIMORE — The COVID-19 pandemic has caused several Maryland towns to cancel their Independence Day celebrations. But some still are.
In fact, the Maryland State Fire Marshal is urging citizens to attend one of the public fireworks displays rather than personally lighting them.
“I would highly suggest the safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend one of the many public fireworks displays throughout the State,” said Brian Geraci.
Personal fireworks are prohibited in Baltimore City, Montgomery, Prince George's, Harford, and Howard Counties as well as Ocean City.
Here is a breakdown of who's canceled their shows and who hasn't.
- Towson - Loch Raven Technical Academy
- Catonsville - Frederick Road/Catonsville High School
- Columbia - Lake Kittamaqundi
Here are some fireworks displays scheduled to still go on
Anne Arundel County:
- Gibson Island Club, Inc. - July 4 at 9:15 p.m.
- Cumberland Parks & Rec - July 4 at 9:30 p.m.
- Woodholme Country Club (Pikesville) - July 3 at 9 p.m.
- Galloway Point on Barge (Middle River) - July 4 at 9:15 p.m.
- Running Hare Vineyard (Prine Frederick) - July 3 at 9 p.m.
- Bohemia Manor Farm / Chateau Bu-De (Chesapeake City) - July 4 at 8:45 p.m.
- Benjamin Stoddert MS (Waldorf) - July 4 at 8 p.m.
- Walkersville Volunteer Fire Company Carnival Grounds (Walkersville) - July 3 at 9:30 p.m.
- Broadford Recreation Area (Oakland) - July 3 at 9 p.m.
- Wisp Resort - July 4 at 9 p.m.
- Ripken Stadium parking lot - July 4 at 8:30 p.m.
- Upper Montgomery Co VFD (Hughes Rd Soccer Field in Poolesville) - July 4 at 9 p.m.
Queen Anne's County:
- Hagerstown (Fair Grounds Park) - July 4 at 9:30 p.m.
- Boonsboro (Schaffer Park) - July 3 at 9 p.m.
- Williamsport (William Byron Memorial) - July 3 at 9 p.m.
For those using consumer fireworks, here's a few safety tips from the Fire Marshal.
* Purchase the fireworks in the location where you intend to discharge them.
*Check with the local municipality to determine what fireworks are considered legal for use in that area.
* Read and follow label warnings and instructions.
* Do not allow small children to use fireworks
* Do not consume alcoholic beverages while using fireworks.
* Have a bucket of water or hose available
* Fully extinguish remains of fireworks in water before disposal.