A blast of Arctic air is expected to hit the area Thursday, bringing frigid temperatures and blustery winds.
Here are a few tips on how—and where—to stay warm through the weekend.
- Stock up on bottled water in the event of a water outage. The Baltimore City Department of Public Works recommends keeping a three-day supply of water on hand, or one gallon per person each day.
- Stash several days’ worth of non-perishable food.
- Wear layers when going outside and don’t forget your hat. As much as 50 percent of body heat is lost through your head.
- Know where your water valves off and how to shut them off in case a pipe bursts. Turn off the water pumping to outside faucets.
- Never leave space heaters unattended and check to make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are still working.
- Keep fireplaces and wood-burning stoves clean.
RELATED: Polar Vortex Edges Toward East Coast
Anne Arundel County is opening several warming centers to give locals relief from the cold. The following locations will be open beginning Wednesday at 5 p.m. through Monday, Dec. 19 at 7 a.m.
The Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities will open the following warming centers during normal business hours from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Thursday and Friday to provide warming relief to vulnerable populations. Visiting children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Annapolis Senior Center: 119 South Villa Avenue, Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Center: 44 Church Rd, Arnold
- Brooklyn Park Senior Center: 202 Hammonds Lane, Brooklyn Park
- O'Malley Senior Center: 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Center: 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Center: 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Center: 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Anne Arundel County Public Libraries will be open Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Thursday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Friday/Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
- Annapolis Regional Library: 1410 West Street, Annapolis
- Broadneck Community Library: 1275 Green Holly Drive, Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Community Library: 1 East 11th Avenue, Baltimore
- Crofton Community Library: 1681 Riedel Road, Crofton
- Deale Community Library: 5940 Deale-Churchton Road, Deale
- Eastport-Annapolis Neck Community Library: 269 Hillsmere Drive, Annapolis
- Edgewater Community Library: 25 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Glen Burnie Regional Library: 1010 Eastway, Glen Burnie
- Linthicum Community Library: 400 Shipley Road, Linthicum
- Maryland City at Russett Community Library: 3501 Russett Common, Laurel
- Odenton Regional Library: 1325 Annapolis Road, Odenton
- Riviera Beach Community Library: 1130 Duvall Highway, Pasadena
- Severn Community Library: 2624 Annapolis Road, Severn
- Severna Park Community Library: 45 West McKinsey Road, Severna Park
The Anne Arundel County Police will make the Community Rooms at the following Precincts available from 5 p.m. Wednesday until Monday at 7 a.m.
- Northern District: 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- Eastern District: 204 Pasadena Rd, Pasadena
- Western District: 8273 Telegraph Road, Odenton
- Southern District: 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Residents in need of transportation to warming centers should contact the Department of Aging and Disabilities during normal business hours, Wednesday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., at 410-222-0022.
All centers are accessible and have water and restroom facilities. Medical care is not available and anyone experiencing or observing a medical emergency should call 911. Pets are not allowed in any warming centers. Accommodations will be made for service animals.