A blast of Arctic air is expected to hit the area Thursday, bringing frigid temperatures and blustery winds.
Here are a few tips on how—and where—to stay warm through the weekend.
- Stock up on bottled water in the event of a water outage. The Baltimore City Department of Public Works recommends keeping a three-day supply of water on hand, or one gallon per person each day.
- Stash several days’ worth of non-perishable food.
- Wear layers when going outside and don’t forget your hat. As much as 50 percent of body heat is lost through your head.
- Know where your water valves off and how to shut them off in case a pipe bursts. Turn off the water pumping to outside faucets.
- Never leave space heaters unattended and check to make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are still working.
- Keep fireplaces and wood-burning stoves clean.
RELATED: Polar Vortex Edges Toward East Coast
Anne Arundel County is opening several warming centers to give locals relief from the cold. The following locations will be open beginning Wednesday at 5 p.m. through Monday, Dec. 19 at 7 a.m.
The Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities will open the following warming centers during normal business hours from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Thursday and Friday to provide warming relief to vulnerable populations. Visiting children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Annapolis Senior Center: 119 South Villa Avenue, Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Center: 44 Church Rd, Arnold
- Brooklyn Park Senior Center: 202 Hammonds Lane, Brooklyn Park
- O'Malley Senior Center: 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Center: 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Center: 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Center: 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Anne Arundel County Public Libraries will be open Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Thursday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Friday/Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
- Annapolis Regional Library: 1410 West Street, Annapolis
- Broadneck Community Library: 1275 Green Holly Drive, Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Community Library: 1 East 11th Avenue, Baltimore
- Crofton Community Library: 1681 Riedel Road, Crofton
- Deale Community Library: 5940 Deale-Churchton Road, Deale
- Eastport-Annapolis Neck Community Library: 269 Hillsmere Drive, Annapolis
- Edgewater Community Library: 25 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Glen Burnie Regional Library: 1010 Eastway, Glen Burnie
- Linthicum Community Library: 400 Shipley Road, Linthicum
- Maryland City at Russett Community Library: 3501 Russett Common, Laurel
- Odenton Regional Library: 1325 Annapolis Road, Odenton
- Riviera Beach Community Library: 1130 Duvall Highway, Pasadena
- Severn Community Library: 2624 Annapolis Road, Severn
- Severna Park Community Library: 45 West McKinsey Road, Severna Park
The Anne Arundel County Police will make the Community Rooms at the following Precincts available from 5 p.m. Wednesday until Monday at 7 a.m.
- Northern District: 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- Eastern District: 204 Pasadena Rd, Pasadena
- Western District: 8273 Telegraph Road, Odenton
- Southern District: 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Residents in need of transportation to warming centers should contact the Department of Aging and Disabilities during normal business hours, Wednesday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., at 410-222-0022.
RELATED: Don't idle to warm up your car; here's why
All centers are accessible and have water and restroom facilities. Medical care is not available and anyone experiencing or observing a medical emergency should call 911. Pets are not allowed in any warming centers. Accommodations will be made for service animals.
Download the ABC2 News app for the iPhone, Kindle and Android