Mother and daughter, 3, rescued from burning home

Mother and daughter, 3, rescued from burning home
Posted at 6:30 PM, Jun 11, 2018

A mother and her 3-year-old daughter are recovering tonight after being rescued by firefighters from a burning home.

Prince George's County Fire officials say the incident occurred Monday morning at around 9:30 a.m. in the 3900 block of Coach Lane in Suitland.

While working to extinguish the blaze from inside the home, Captain Russell Poe heard screams coming from another part of the home. Poe followed the calls for help, which lead him to a second floor bedroom where an adult female and her 3-year-old daughter were discovered.

Noticing symptoms of smoke inhalation and respiratory distress, Poe provided his air mask to the child as he awaited the arrival of other firefighters.

Moments later, crews were able to extinguish the bulk of the fire, at which time firefighter Matthew Tippett was able to assist in removing both individuals, bringing them to safety.

Both victims are expected to make a full recovery.

It was determined the fire originated in a first room floor and was caused by a discarded cigarette. A smoke alarm inside the home was deemed inoperable and appeared to be over 20 years old.

The Prince George's County Fire Department stressed the importance of replacing fire alarms every 10 years.