Due to public health concerns about mosquito-borne diseases, Ultra-Low Volume truck-based spraying has been planned for areas of Severna Park for Wednesday night after 7:30 p.m., The Maryland Department of Agriculture said.
The spraying is meant to control the adult mosquito population and is part of the departments mosquito control services. Spraying will take place within a one-mile radius of the intersection of Arundel Beach Road and Chestnut Road, encompassing the Arundel Beach and Whitehurst neighborhoods.
The Department of Agriculture suggests residents take additional precautions to minimize exposure to mosquitos, such as:
- Wearing long, loose fitting, light colored clothing
- Wearing insect repellents
- Avoiding mosquito infested areas during dusk and dawn, peak mosquito activity periods
- Installing, inspecting and repairing window and door screens
- Regularly cleaning bird baths and bowls used for pet food and water
- Removing and emptying water-holding containers
Follow the department's twitter feed for more information about spraying, or call 410-841-5870 for more information about the Department of Agriculture's Mosquito Control Program.