Fifty families are still displaced nearly a week after a fire and explosion claimed six lives and injured dozens at the Flower Branch Apartments in Silver Spring.
Montgomery County officials are working with local non-profits to help those sheltered at the Long Branch Community Recreation Center. Efforts are being made to assist those residents in finding alternate housing, medical care and emergency assistance.
Financial donations are being accepted through several partner organizations, including CASA and the Montgomery Housing Partnership.
Donors are asked to give directly through participating organizations instead of stopping by the community center.
— Cassie Carlisle (@CassieABC2) August 16, 2016
Comptroller Peter Franchot announced his office will also assist displaced residents with tax obligations. Anyone with pending obligations who aren’t able to pay can contact Special Assistant Mariela Cruz at 410-260-4020 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to make special arrangements.
“The victims of this terrible tragedy have experienced tremendous loss,” Franchot said in a release. “My office is committed to working with each of them to ensure that any outstanding tax obligations are fulfilled without causing further financial burden as they recover and rebuild.”
Here’s how you can help:
Financial Donations (via check)
Mail it to:
Montgomery Housing Partnership
(Attn: Long Branch Fire)
12200 Tech Road, Suite 250
Silver Spring, MD 20904
[*] Write LONG BRANCH FIRE in check memo
Please note that 100% of your donation will go to the victims, there are no service fees.
Online Financial Donations (preferred)
- Go to: www.MHPartners.org
- Click on "Give Direct" (on right side of your screen)
- Input amount and credit card number
- Make sure you indicate LONG BRANCH FIRE in the 'comment' box:
CASA Welcome Center
734 University Blvd East
(Off University Blvd, just south of Piney Branch)
CASA is looking for volunteers to help sort through donations. Come to the Silver Spring center 8/12 until 5 p.m. and 8/13 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
If you can volunteer as an interpreter (Spanish-English or French-English) for affected families, email:email@example.com.
FRAUD ALERT: CASA IS MAKING NO PHONE CALLS SEEKING DONATIONS. (Update: 8/15)
A Wider Circle
Address: 9159 Brookeville Rd., Silver Spring, MD 20910 (Update: 8/15)
• Strong preference for drop-off at site. Pick-up will be arranged when necessary.(Update: 8/15)
• drop-off furniture 7 days a week (Monday - Saturday, 9 am. - 6 p.m. and Sunday, 12 noon - 6 p.m. (Update: 8/15)
• home goods
Adventist Community Services of Greater Washington
Phone #: 301-585-6556
Address: 501 Sligo Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910
• Make donations:
• Cash Donations - Checks can be sent to ACSGW at 501 Sligo Avenue,
Silver Spring, MD 20910 (Make checks payable to ACSGW) Emergency Fund.
• On-line and pay via PayPal and mark it “Other” or Emergency Fund @ www.acsgw.org
• Clothing, houseware items, toiletries, blankets, sheets, etc. --- No furniture
• ACSGW will be open for calls and services at the following days and times during this weekend:
Friday – 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.
Saturday – 1 p.m. until 4 p.m.
Sunday – 1 p.m. until 4 p.m.
• Spanish speaking Case Manager at ACSGW for any help or questions.