BALTIMORE — The government shutdown has surpassed four weeks, and local businesses are doing what they can to help those who are temporarily out of work.
Pinch Gourmet Chinese Dumplings: 520 Park Ave, Baltimore, MD 21201
- Government workers can enjoy 50% off dumpling specials through the end of the shutdown. A valid ID is required and there is a limit of 12 dumplings per person.
Mr. Y's Pizza n Fries Fallston: 2205 Belair Rd., Fallston, MD 21047
- Mr Y's Pizza n Fries in Fallston will be offering all federal employees a free kids meal with any adult purchase. The adult purchases must be worth $10 or more, the parent must show a valid government issued ID and all children must be under the age of 12. Also, this offer is only valid for dine-in or carry-out purchases. No deliveries.
Villagio Cafe: 6805 York Rd., Baltimore, MD 21212
- Villagio Cafe is offering a free lunch special to all federal employees who present a government issued ID. The deal will start 1/17 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., during weekday lunch hours, and will end after lunch on 1/25. This offer is only valid for that individual and for dine-in only.
Laundry City: All locations across Baltimore area
- Laundry City is hoping to take the load off of federal workers by offering free washing, drying, detergent, fabric softener, Wi-Fi, and a complementary shuttle pick up.
- Additional details: www.laundrycity24.com
Anne Arundel County Public Library
- Anne Arundel County Public Libraries will waive fines incurred between January 4 through the end of the government shutdown for federal government employees, contractors and their families. In addition to waiving fees, libraries will not send customers to collections during the shutdown. Customers who have already been affected should contact their local branch to have their fines waived.
- To find out what else is available to furloughed federal workers in Anne Arundel County, click here .
Fit4Mom Howard County: 10300 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia, MD 21044
- All furloughed moms can get any weekday Stroller Strides class for free during the month of January. Just register for the class you plan on attending, bring your government ID, and the instructor will comp your workout. You must live or work in Howard County to get this deal.
Birkham Yoga Works: 500 Park Avenue in Mount Vernon
- All furloughed employees are welcome to FREE noon classes Monday thru Friday. Participants can take Bikram Yoga or a HIIT/Hot Pilates clads every day at 12pm. Only requirement is a valid Federal ID. More information can be found here .
VIP Barbershop: 7556 Teague Rd. #114, Hanover, MD 21076
- VIP Barbershop is offering free haircuts to the children of furloughed government employees that have been affected by the shutdown. Parents must provide a copy of their furloughed pay stubs and walk-ins are welcome.
- Call Jason Coney at (443) 467-5331 to book an appointment.
AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
Pongos Learning Lab: 2141 Priest Bridge Drive, Suite 8, Crofton, Md. 21114
- Kids of families who have been affected by the government shutdown are being offered free entry into drop-in STEM clubs. Clubs include LEGO, Coder Kids Club, YouTube Stars/Animators, Robotics, and Gamer Club. Parents can use the FURLOUGH discount code to pre-register , and show a government ID or other proof of furlough status at check-in.
B&O Railroad Museum: 901 W Pratt St, Baltimore, MD 21223
- The museum is offering furloughed federal employees one complimentary admission with a valid employee ID.
Reginald F. Lewis Museum: 830 E Pratt St, Baltimore, MD 21202
- Free admission will be available to groups of four that present a valid government I.D. in person at the time of admission. This offer is good Wednesday-Sunday throughout the shutdown.
- Additional details: www.lewismuseum.org
The Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum: 701 Wilson Point Rd., Middle River, MD 21220
- The museum is offering free admission to furloughed government employees during the government shutdown. This offer is only valid on Wednesday through Saturday, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Employees and their families will receive free admission once they present their federal employee ID.
- Additional details: www.mdairmuseum.org
Michael & Son Services: 5740 General Washington Drive Alexandria, VA
- Six months of no payments on plumbing, electrical, heating and cooling repairs.
- To learn more or schedule an interview with the President of Michael & Son, call 703-926-0772 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You an also visit michaelandson.com for more details.
Autobahn Indoor Speedway & Events: 8251 Preston Court, Jessup, MD 20794 or 45448 East Severn Way, Suite #150, Sterling, VA 20166
- Autobahn Axe Throwing Dulles and Jessup are opening early and offering 30 minutes of free axe throwing to those affected by the government shutdown. Starting January 18 and going on until the shutdown ends, this offer is available every Monday through Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. It is strictly first-come, first-served, so those interested should arrive no later than 10:15 a.m. and, in order to participate, you must sign a waiver and be over 18.
- For more information, feel free to call (410) 880-0010 (Jessup) or (571) 353-1220 (Dulles).
We're offering FREE tix to fed govt employees for our Turangalîla-symphonie concerts this wknd in recognition of furloughed workers during the govt shutdown. Please present valid govt ID at the Ticket Office before the performance. 2 tix are available per ID. See you there! pic.twitter.com/3BXht97Ype
— Baltimore Symphony (@BaltSymphony) January 9, 2019
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra: 1212 Cathedral St., Baltimore, MD 21201
- Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is offering free tickets to federal government employees for their "Turangalila-symphonie" concerts this weekend. You must present a valid government ID at the Ticket Office before each performance and only two tickets are available per ID.
Baltimore Center Stage: 700 N Calvert St, Baltimore, MD 21202
- Two free tickets to see the preview performance for the Tony award-winning play Fun Home. Federal employees can walk-up to the box office to claim two tickets by showing their valid government ID, but all tickets are on a first-come first-serve basis.
- Tickets will be available starting Thursday January 17when the box office lobby hours open at 12:00 noon. No ticket orders or reservations will be accepted online or over the phone.
Baltimore Humane Society: 1601 Nicodemus Rd, Reisterstown, MD 21136
- The Baltimore Humane Society through its Bmore Kind Pet Food Bank, will be distributing dog and cat food donated by Safeway for free to all furloughed federal workers. Pet owners needing help can come to the Baltimore Humane Society during regular operating hours: 9am to 6pm, Tuesday – Friday and 9am-3pm, Monday. The Baltimore Humane Society staff will portion out a month’s supply of food per person until supplies run out. Federal employee I.D. will be required to receive aid. For questions about Baltimore Humane Society’s aid for federal workers, call 410-833-8848 ext. 212.
CAMPspace: 4214 Gallatin St Hyattsville, Maryland 20781
- Take time to work on your passion project, side hustle, and more with a free coworking space. This offer comes with WiFi, unlimited Mocha Box Coffee, comfy seating, and access to community members who can help give you insight, encouragement and more while you work.
- You must register beforehand, use the code "GOVTFREE", and have proof you are furloughed.
- Register by clicking here
The Maryland athletic department will offer two complimentary general admission tickets to federal government employees to Monday’s men’s basketball game vs. Wisconsin and Saturday's women's basketball game vs. Michigan. The Maryland men and Wisconsin will tip off at 8:30 p.m. at the XFINITY Center on Monday, Jan. 14. Federal government employees can pick up two complimentary tickets by showing their government ID at the Terrapin Ticket Office, which is located at Gate A.
Maryland's women's game against Michigan is set for Saturday, Jan. 12, at 4:30 p.m. Federal government employees planning to attend with this offer can pick up two complimentary tickets at the Gate A location as well.
Baltimore Blast: 8000 York Rd., Towson, MD 21252
- The Blast is offering all furloughed government employees and their families a buy one, get one ticket deal for Sunday afternoon's game against the Mississauga MetroStars at SECU Arena. Tickets can be purchased at the SECU box office after 12 p.m. with a government issued ID. Parking is free and available in lots 13 and 14.
- For additional information, call Sharon GibalaMarsh at (410) 218-4691.
WMAR-2 News is working for you and is still trying to find more deals and freebies for furloughed feds. If you are offering discounts, or know someone who is, email us at email@example.com.