In an effort to combat the opioid crisis, CVS is installing 19 safe medical disposal units at CVS stores across the state.
In addition to the disposal units at stores, the company donated medical disposal kiosks to police departments in Hampstead, Ellicott City, and Rising Sun, allowing other agencies to apply to receive additional units from the CVS Health Medication Disposal for Safe Communities Program.
The CVS Health Foundation also awarded an $85,000 grant to Total Health Care, a community health center in Baltimore dedicated to supporting opioid addition recovery.
“Launching our in-store safe medication disposal program at CVS Pharmacy locations in Maryland will help remove unused prescription medications from medicine cabinets where they could be otherwise diverted or abused,” said Tom Davis, R.Ph., vice president of professional services for CVS Health. “We are committed to addressing and preventing opioid abuse through our support of the work that organizations like Total Health Care do to promote addiction recovery, which directly aligns with our purpose of helping people on their path to better health.”
The 19 Maryland locations housing the disposal units are located at:
- 2601 Riva Road, Annapolis
- 7845 Wise Avenue, Baltimore
- 8859 Branch Avenue, Clinton
- 2003 Davidsonville Road, Crofton
- 5870 Silver Hill Road (Silver Hill Plaza), District Heights
- 6480 Old Waterloo Road, Elkridge
- 3300A Centennial Lane, Ellicott City
- 402 SO Jefferson Street, Frederick
- 19100 Montgomery Village Avenue, Gaithersburg
- 7607 Greenbelt Road, Greenbelt
- 24288 Three Notch Road, Hollywood
- 3715 University Boulevard West, Kensington
- 6260 Crain Highway, La Plata
- 15100 Baltimore Avenue, Laurel
- 9920 Key West Avenue, North Potomac
- 3110 Olney Sandy Spring Road, Olney
- 28 Magathy Beach Road, Pasadena
- 7955 Tuckerman Lane, Rockville
- 1001 York Road, Towson
CVS Health has donated more than 900 disposal units to police departments nationwide, the company said, collecting more than 350,000 pounds of unwanted medication in the process.