Temperatures are going to rise to record heights with extreme humidity and poor air quality.
RELATED: Baltimore area weather
Patient First wants to remind residents how to stay healthy in the extreme weather.
- Use air-conditioning to protect against heat-related illnesses. If you do not have air conditioning in your home, then spend time in air-conditioned places like malls, libraries or other cooling centers.
- Stay informed by listening to news and weather channels before you head outside. Dressing appropriately is important. If possible, wear light-colored, loose-fitting breathable materials, such as cotton.
- For special health safety tips and alerts, contact your local public health department.
- Staying hydrated is important all year, but especially now. Drink cool, non-alcoholic beverages and increase your fluid intake no matter what your activity level may be.
- Remember that sweating rids your body of essential nutrients. It takes more than water to stay properly hydrated, so make sure to eat healthy and replenish your body with nutrients as well.
In response to the heat, many counties are opening up cooling centers to keep people healthy and safe. Cooling centers are accessible air conditioned areas with water and restroom facilities.
The following locations are where you should head to in order to stay cool this weekend.
Anne Arundel County
The Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities will open the following cooling centers during normal business hours from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Friday and Monday to provide cooling relief to vulnerable populations. Visiting children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Annapolis Senior Center: 119 South Villa Avenue, Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Center: 44 Church Rd, Arnold
- Brooklyn Park Senior Center: 202 Hammonds Lane, Brooklyn Park
- O'Malley Senior Center: 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Center: 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Center: 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Center: 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Anne Arundel County Public Libraries will be open Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.:
- Annapolis Regional Library: 1410 West Street, Annapolis
- Broadneck Community Library: 1275 Green Holly Drive, Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Community Library: 1 East 11th Avenue, Baltimore
- Crofton Community Library: 1681 Riedel Road, Crofton
- Deale Community Library: 5940 Deale-Churchton Road, Deale
- Eastport-Annapolis Neck Community Library: 269 Hillsmere Drive, Annapolis
- Edgewater Community Library: 25 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Glen Burnie Regional Library: 1010 Eastway, Glen Burnie
- Linthicum Community Library: 400 Shipley Road, Linthicum
- Maryland City at Russett Community Library: 3501 Russett Common, Laurel
- Mountain Road Community Library: 4730 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Odenton Regional Library: 1325 Annapolis Road, Odenton
- Riviera Beach Community Library: 1130 Duvall Highway, Pasadena
- Severn Community Library: 2624 Annapolis Road, Severn
- Severna Park Community Library: 45 West McKinsey Road, Severna Park
The Anne Arundel County Police will make the community rooms at the following precincts available from 10 a.m. Friday through 7 a.m. Tuesday.
- Northern District: 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- Eastern District: 204 Pasadena Rd, Pasadena
- Western District: 8273 Telegraph Road, Odenton
- Southern District: 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
On Saturday, Harford library branches will again serve as cooling centers during normal business hours, which are from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at all branches except for Darlington. Darlington operates on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. In addition, extended hours until 8:00 p.m. will be offered at Bel Air Library, Havre de Grace Library and Whiteford Library.
On Sunday, the following Volunteer Fire Companies will serve as Cooling Centers from noon – 8:00 p.m.
- Aberdeen House 1 located at 21 N. Rogers St. in Aberdeen
- Bel Air Fire Company House 1 located at 109 S. Hickory Ave in Bel Air
- Jarrettsville Fire Company House 1 located at 3825 Federal Hill Road in Jarrettsville
- Susquehanna Hose Company House 3 located at 301 Market Street in Havre de Grace
On Monday, Harford County library branches will serve as cooling centers during normal business hours, which are from 10 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. at all branches except for Darlington. Darlington Library is open on Mondays from 3 to 8 p.m.
The branch locations of Harford County Public Library are as follows:
- Aberdeen – 21 Franklin Street, Aberdeen, Maryland
- Abingdon – 2510 Tollgate Road Abingdon, Maryland
- Bel Air – 100 E. Pennsylvania Avenue, Bel Air, Maryland
- Darlington – 1134 Main Street, Darlington, Maryland
- Edgewood – 629 Edgewood Road, Edgewood, Maryland
- Fallston – 1461 Fallston Road, Fallston, Maryland
- Havre de Grace – 120 N. Union Avenue, Havre de Grace, MD
- Jarrettsville – 3722 Norrisville Road, Jarrettsville, Maryland
- Joppa – 655 Towne Center Drive, Joppa, Maryland
- Norrisville – 5310 Norrisville Road, White Hall, Maryland
- Whiteford – 2407 Whiteford Road, Whiteford, Maryland