News

Actions

Alleged high school attacker arrested

Posted at 5:57 PM, Mar 31, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-31 18:16:26-04

Eighteen-year-old Nicole Cevario was arrested Friday morning after being released from the hospital.

Cevario was served with several warrants in connection to an alleged attempted shooting attack at her Frederick County High School.

She was denied bail pending a mental health evaluation from the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Cevario is being held at the Frederick County Adult Detention Center.

On March 16, a parent notified officials at Catoctin High School of a possible threat. The Frederick County Sheriff’s Office said the suspect, identified as Nicole Cevario of Thurmont, was then removed from school and taken to the Frederick Memorial Hospital for an emergency evaluation where she was hospitalized.

Investigators searched Cevario’s home and found her journal. In it, police said she, “spelled out a detailed shooting event that she planned to execute on a specific date in April at Catoctin High School.”

Police also recovered items Cevario may have been stockpiling for use during the attack. Investigators found a shotgun with ammunition and materials used to make bombs, including pipes with end caps, fireworks, shrapnel, magnesium tape and fuse material.

Police said Cevario’s journal revealed the event had been planned with detail, including notes on emergency procedures, behavior activities at the school, as well as a timeline of how the plot would be executed.
Investigators believed she planned to die on the date identified in the journal.

“The investigation has also revealed she had the means and equipment to have caused a significant life safety event at Catoctin High School if she had followed through with the threat,” The Frederick County Sheriff’s Office said in a release. “It was also clear that Ms. Cevario was struggling with mental health issues which prompted the emergency evaluation at Frederick Memorial Hospital.”