4 who ran car-jacking ring sentenced between 20 and 13 years, Maryland Attorney General announces

Posted at 4:00 PM, Jul 10, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-10 16:00:32-04

BALTIMORE — Four men were served suspended sentences of between 50 and 20 years for their participating in a carjacking ring that targeted more than 25 victims between September and December of 2017, Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh announced in a statement released Wednesday.

The crew was involved in more than 26 incidents in the four-month span. One tactic they employed involved running into victims' cars, most often with another stolen or carjacked vehicle, to cause superficial damage. When both cars stopped for the customary post-accident exchange of information, members of the crew would attack their victims and steal their cars.

The carjackers used an assortment of weapons in their crimes, including knives, pellet guns, and handguns, the Attorney General said. Even after taking their victims’ vehicles or other property, like cellphones, at times the criminals would continue to assault or attack their victims. In one case, victims were hospitalized with broken bones.

After stealing their victims’ property, the criminals would flee in their newly carjacked vehicles. The crew would often post photos or videos to social media showing themselves “joyriding” in the stolen vehicles and boasting about how many cars they’ve stolen. They would also often wear key fobs to the carjacked vehicles on their belts as trophies.

“These individuals attacked unsuspecting drivers, in some cases causing serious injury,” said Attorney General Frosh in his statement. “They showed no remorse, flaunted their exploits on social media, and will now spend many years behind bars.”

Tyheim Gray, 20, and Daquan Johnson, 19, were convicted of carjacking conspiracy, armed carjacking, and theft scheme over $100,000. Travon Williamston, 18, and Dalante Graham, 19, were convicted of those three crimes, as well as using a firearm in a crime of violence. Gray was sentenced to 50 years in prison, with all but 17 suspended. Johnson was sentenced to 50 years, with all but 20 suspended. Graham was sentenced to 40 years, with all but 17 suspended. Williamston was sentenced to 40 years, with all but 13 suspended.

The investigation that led to these arrests was a joint effort by the State Attorney General, the Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s Office, the Baltimore County State’s Attorney’s Office, the Baltimore County Police Department, the Baltimore City Police Department, and the FBI.