A 2-year-old girl from western Maryland has died after a fire in her babysitter's home.
The Herald-Mail reports firefighters responded to the home outside Hagerstown about 1 a.m. Sunday and found three adults outside. They told firefighters that a 2-year-old girl was still inside the home, possibly in the basement.
Firefighters retrieved the girl but were unable to save her. She was pronounced dead at the hospital.
The fire was contained to the basement; the rest of the home suffered minor smoke damage.
The Maryland State Fire Marshal says the babysitter, a 29-year-old woman, tried unsuccessfully to put the fire out with an extinguisher.
The babysitter and her father both tried unsuccessfully to rescue the girl on their own.
Two dogs in the home also died.