News

Actions

19-year-old survives burns from house fire

Posted at 3:43 PM, Jun 06, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-06 15:44:05-04

A 19-year-old male was injured in a house fire that caused an estimated $75,000 in structural damage, the state fire marshal’s office said Monday.

Ben Wright of Mt. Airy, sustained second degree burns to both arms before being transported to Bayview Burn Center, officials said. Wright has been treated and released.

The Fire Marshal’s office said that it appears the fire was an accident. Officials said that Wright noticed a charging unit for a remote control car was on fire. Wright tried to remove the charging unit, burning his arms.

Officials said that the fire, on the 6300 block of Davis Road, caused an estimated $75,000 in structural damage and an estimated $25,000 of content damage. Smoke alarms were present and activated, officials said.

Thirty firefighters responded and controlled the fire in 20 minutes.

Download the ABC2 News app for the iPhone, Kindle and Android