Howard County firefighters and paramedics put out a small fire Sunday morning, leaving two residents displaced.
First responders were called to the 10300 block of College Square in Columbia for a reported townhouse fire. One the scene, crews found smoke coming from the front of the home and quickly extinguished the small fire inside.
Officials say the two residents of the townhouse were asleep when the fire started. Shortly after, they were awaken by smoke detectors and evacuated safely.
The residents are being assisted by the American Red Cross as they relocate until their home is repaired. Damages are estimated at $50,000.
No residents or firefighters were injured.
Fire investigators from the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services Office of the Fire Marshal are working to determine the origin and cause of the blaze.