News

Actions

Ellicott City continues to recover after deadly flooding

Residents and business owners visit properties
CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 11:24 PM, Aug 07, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-08 06:42:37-04
It's what all Ellicott City home owners, shop owners, and tenants have been waiting for since they were forced to leave flood-ravaged main street last Saturday. 
 
Sunday they were finally allowed extended access to start picking up the pieces.
 
While they've been allowed to visit their properties over the last week, today was the first time many assessed the damage.  Some dodged serious issues, others are dealing with the harsh reality of rebuilding
 
"It's overwhelming what I saw today," Johnny Breidenbach, owner of Johnny's Bistro on Main.
 
Breidenbach isn't alone.  He's one of the dozens of people dealing with the aftermath of last week's deadly flooding.
 
"I'm still assessing, it's so overwhelming i don't know what to do at this point in time."
 
He like so many others are just getting  access to assess the flood damage.
 
 
"It's devastating, it's something I've never felt in my entire life. I put a call into my insurance company, i don't have flood insurance.  They're not touching it."
 
Breidenbach's bistro has been open here for the last 10 years.  Now, the future is unclear for him
 
 "I've been through some flood situations before in Ellicott City but never, never like this. You don't know where to go from here.  I don't sleep at night.I just don't know where to go from here."
 
Others are telling a different story.
 
"We didn't take any water damage. We're actually one of the incredibly fortunate ones because we were actually up a little bit of a hill and our building is elevated," Matcha Cafe owner, Derek Smith, told ABC2. 
 
But even with all the help and outreach, some say  Ellicott City won't be the same for quite some time.
 
"It's going to be a big challenge, it's going to be a while before things really get up and running again" Smith said.
 
Count leaders are working overtime to make sure that challenge is met.
 
"We're hopeful, you talk about milestones, to have a time where people can at least get in on a regular basis maybe not living there or having the business open but just just be able to go in and out on a regular basis They've done an amazing job, our depart of public works, everyone else has done a great job in getting this back moving again." Howard County Executive Allan Kittleman said. 
 
Two people died in the flood, at least 5 buildings were destroyed and some 200 cars were damaged.  110 people got into their buildings Sunday and hundreds more came out to help them.  No time line on when main street will be back open.
 

Download the ABC2 News app for the iPhone, Kindle and Android