NewsRegionHoward County

Actions

Newborn baby, family make it out of house fire safely thanks to smoke detector

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 8:41 AM, Nov 09, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-09 13:43:05-05

Four people, including a few day old baby, safely made it out of their home Thursday morning because of their smoke detector. 

Howard County fire officials say that over 50 firefighters and paramedics from Howard County, Baltimore County, and Anne Arundel County were dispatched to a house fire in the 6600 block of Washington Boulevard around 7:00 a.m.

When they got to the scene, the family was already evacuated from the home and fire crews were able to extinguish the fire within minutes.

Officials say a fire alarm went off and alerted a 12-year-old, who was able to successfully get everyone outside and call 911. 

The family of five is now displaced and their home is posted as unsafe. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.