NewsRegionHarford County

Actions

Woman safe after vape battery explodes in car

Vape stores say batteries should always be in case
Posted at 5:46 PM, Mar 16, 2018
and last updated 2018-03-16 17:53:24-04

She said it sounded like a bomb was going off. A rechargeable vape battery exploded in a Harford County woman's purse while she was driving in Forest Hill Friday morning. The battery wasn't in the vape when it exploded. Her family said luckily she wasn't hurt and no one else was in the car; it could have been a lot worse. 

Multiple vape store managers told ABC2 News that it may have been preventable. 

"We preach safety here," Parkville Vape House manager John Jones said. "We've seen this happen before."

Jones said if you're not using the battery, it shouldn't be out. 

"The first thing I tell people is to never put these things in your pocket or in your purse," Jones said. 

They give out free battery cases to all of their customers to avoid any explosions. 

"You have keys in your pocket, change in your pocket, your ID has metal on it. Anything that has metal on it that touches these contacts, that will activate the battery," Jones said. 

He said you can use the original cardboard boxes that the batteries come in as well, Just make sure they aren't directly touching anything metal. He also said you should make sure the battery wrapper and insulation is in tact before using it. 

Photos courtesy of Kerri Lynn Kahler Deal.