NewsRegionHarford County

Actions

Siphoning gas from mower leads to garage fire in Harford County

maple-ave_crop.jpg
Posted at 3:25 PM, Apr 25, 2019

A man burned down his garage while trying to siphon gas from a riding lawnmower Wednesday evening in Harford County.

Firefighters responded to a blaze in the 1500 block of Maple Avenue in Perryman where a two-car detached garage suffered roughly $35,000 worth of damage, the Office of the State Fire Marshal said. It took the 25 firefighters who responded about 10 minutes to get the fire under control. The garage suffered extensive damage to its exterior, and the home sustained heat damage, but the family was not displaced.

The cause of the fire was ruled an accident, the Office of the State Fire Marshal said, “due to an occupant of the home siphoning gas from a riding lawnmower to a bucket using an electric air pump.”