Sitting in the Harford County Community Foundation's meeting room in Bel Air, Rosemary Roche shared memories of her son, Jordan, starting from the beginning.
"When Jordan was just old enough to start pulling himself up in the play pen, and as soon as music would come on that kid would start dancing, and I remember her [friend] laughing and saying oh my gosh your baby dances better than my husband," Roche said, laughing.
Roche described Jordan as a boy who loved music and nature. She remembers him bringing her frogs he caught in the backyard, and rocks he thought shined like diamonds.
As he grew, he learned several instruments in school: Saxophone, keyboard, drums, guitar and started a band in 8th grade with his best friend and the friend's older brother who was into electronic music.
His stage name became Barron, and the band was signed right after high school.
"It just doesn't seem real, you know how kids are like, and everything's done through social media, so you're like how real is this?" Roche said.
Jordan toured all over the U.S. and abroad, but living that life came with a cost.
"We found out in 2014 in spring that Jordan had been snorting heroin and he went to outpatient rehab," Roche said.
He relapsed that October, then went to sober living in North Carolina and finally came home, getting his old job as tech support for video gamers.
He was sober for 10 months, when Roche and her husband were heading to Hawaii to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.
Jordan went to his older sister's house, and no one was home yet. He relapsed, and overdosed on heroin.
"We arrived late Friday night and found this out and it was horrific trying to figure out how to get home, I mean when you're that far away," Roche said.